Your 6 months on the job, you get a massive raise, your boss loves you, you can’t wait for the future, and more money is coming in then ever before. Plus… You’re happier than you’ve ever been and all is well in the world.
Okay okay that is idealistic…
But before we go there.
How do you do it?
How do you get promoted?
Here are 5 tips to get promoted at work.
1. Add more value than your paid: do this in little things if necessary. Stay later. Give compliments. Have a good attitude. Do what you can with love. Learn more skills. Go above and beyond.
2. Be better than the alternatives: be the best in your role. Be better than everyone around you on the important metrics within your business. If you wash dishes. Be vastly better than the others in washing dishes.
3. Never talk bad on anybody: maintain a good attitude and never talk anyone down. Part of being Management material is seeing the best in people. Calibrate your mind, body, and spirit to see the best in people and in every situation. But don’t be blind to reality. If something sucks, it can suck. Just don’t point it out in an overly complaining way.
4. Manage your boss like a leader: managing up is a critical strategy that lower management or lower ranks can do that’s very important. Managing up is all about setting expectations with upper management, letting them know how you can help, filling in the gaps in their weaknesses, catching any day they are down emotionally and helping by being optimistic and helpful in the ways you can help.
5. Do good work: this is simple and perhaps elementary, but do good work. Anyone who does good work should be able to get promoted in due time.
That’s it for today.
PS: Like this post? Be sure to follow my blog now by clicking the link below or supplying your emails.